You know what goes really well with Tabasco Jelly? A Bloody Mary and Bing Crosby.
I missed making Christmas jelly with my mom this year. I’ve missed spending time with my mom so much that I’ve turned into my mother…making jelly all the time! It helps me feel connected to her.
It’s our tradition that we make homemade gifts for friends and family around the holidays. This year, I made them without her but was able to share my creations and it made me feel just a little more normal.
Here’s her recipe for Tabasco Jelly:
- 1 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 oz bottle of Tabasco
- 6 cups of sugar
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 box of Certo
- Blend the red bell peppers, apple cider vinegar, and Tabasco. Add to a large pot.
- Pour sugar and salt into the pot and start whisking till they dissolve in the mixture.
- Boil the mixture while constantly stirring with a metal spoon. It needs to come to a rapid boil…so high that you think it’s going to overflow. Then add both pouches of Certo.
- Turn off the heat and skim off the appearing foam with a metal spoon.
- Start filling the freshly cleaned mason jars with jelly one at a time with a wide-mouth funnel…or be brave and go for it. Clean the residue from the jar’s exterior with another metal spoon.
- Check the lids for seal…listen for the pop. When they are sealed, store the jars in a pantry or kitchen cabinet until you’re ready to gift them. Enjoy!
My mom was born in Monroe, Louisiana where Tabasco is everywhere and on everything. This Bloody Mary mix is something that goes so well with the Tabasco jelly. It’s really easy to make and is always a hit…especially if you’ve got a good football game to watch.
Here’s my mom’s recipe for Bloody Mary Mix:
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon Borsari salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco
Mix everything in the blender then pour into a jar. Add your favorite Vodka and garnishes.
Cheers to all of you missing your moms!