My Pilates journey began when I was a freshman in college as a dancer. I knew at eighteen that I’d be practicing Pilates for the rest of my life.
Joseph Pilates philosophy on exercise and life align with mine. I earned my Pilates certification in 2003 from Peak and started teaching Pilates on the side of also being an elementary teacher. I’ve had equipment follow me around but since COVID, I’ve moved my Cadillac in my closet. It sounds funny to say but I kind of love it…can always get in my Pilates workout!
The Cadillac is my favorite piece of equipment. Pilates named it for the very best American car of his time in the 50’s and 60’s. It’s the largest Pilates apparatus that resembles a four-poster twin bed inspired from his time as a nurse helping soldiers rehabilitate then later came to be known by dancers to strengthen their bodies and heal their aches and pains.
The endorphins that I feel from Pilates give me a buzzing sensation of happiness and well-being. Practicing Pilates makes me feel better physically and mentally. I try to do a little Pilates every single day.
Reading these quotes from Joseph Pilates might make you see how Pilates had it right!
- Change happens through movement and movement heals.
- The mind, when housed within a healthful body, possesses a glorious sense of power.
- The acquirement and enjoyment of physical well-being, mental calm and spiritual peace are priceless to their possessors.
- Physical fitness is the first requisite of happiness.
- You will feel better in ten sessions, look better in twenty sessions and have a completely new body in thirty sessions.
- Breathing is the first act of life and the last. Our very life depends on it.