Cozy fall weekends are for hibernating in your pajamas and watching old movies. This weekend, my daughter and I finished reading the book Heidi together. To celebrate, we made a chocolaty breakfast in bed and watched the movie Heidi (the one with Shirley Temple).
The windows were open and we imagined that we could smell the wild flowers high in mountain meadow where Heidi’s grandfather lived. Aww, fresh fall air…you can almost smell the Swiss Alps! Weekends are made for hitting the reset button, snuggling with your little reading buddy while watching an old movie and indulging in something chocolatey.
My daughter let me know that she loves me more than Nutella! I imagine Nutella is not far behind. Bananas and Nutella go together like Heidi and her grandfather…they compliment each other beautifully! This is one of the most perfect coffee cakes ever. It’s moist and chocolaty sweet…perfect for a Sunday morning.
Nutella Banana Coffee Cake
- 1 C of unsalted butter
- 3 1/2 C flour
- 2 C sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 C whole milk
- 4 eggs at room temp
- 3/4 C sour cream
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 2 ripe bananas, smashed
- 1 C Nutella spread
- 1/4 C brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 C all purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 C hazelnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 13×9 inch pan.
- Melt the 1 C of butter and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, sour cream, vanilla, and add the melted butter.
- Using a spatula, mix the dry into the wet until combined.
- Layer half the batter into the pan, lay the smashed bananas on top and drizzle the Nutella spread…I microwave my Nutella for 30 seconds to make it pourable.
- Layer the remaining batter over the Nutella and banana filling using a spatula, smooth out the top of the batter making sure it’s even and reaches the edges of the pan.
- Sprinkle the top with the streusel…smash 4 softened butter, flour, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg with a fork.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes until set when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Your Nutella weekend won’t be complete without Nutella hot chocolate. You HAVE to make this! My daughter said, “Mom, you are the BEST mom in the world” when I served the Nutella banana coffee cake with Nutella hot chocolate. She also asked, “Do you think Heidi had chocolate breakfasts too?” Hmm…with all the goats milk, I’m sure she probably whisked a little Swiss chocolate in there.
Fall Sunday mornings are made for Nutella and Heidi! Wishing you many more fall weekends…may they be full of Nutella, your favorite pajamas and snuggle buddy to enjoy a frothy, creamy, chocolaty Nutella breakfast!
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons Nutella
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Optional Toppings:
- Crushed hazelnuts
- Chocolate chips
- Extra Nutella
- Heat milk in a medium sized saucepan on medium – high heat until beginning to warm and steam. Add the spread, cocoa powder and sugar, and whisk until dissolved and combined. Bring to a gentle simmer while stirring, and take off heat.
- Serve with your desired toppings.
Guten Appetit from my little Heidi!